In ancient Egypt chamomile tea was used as a drink, as incense to honor the Gods and even in the embalming process. In early Roman times it was enjoyed by the elite of society and considered very valuable for it's medicinal calming effects. Chamomile tea is extracted from the plant's flowers as opposed to leaves like most other teas. The plant itself if from Asteraceae (daisy) family.
The benefits to you of drinking this ancient tea would be that you would reap the immense anti-inflammatory effects that are caused by the flavanoid richness of the chamomile flower. Flavanoid enzymes have anti-bacterial properties as well. Tisane, also abundant in the chamomile flower, has soothing and relaxing effects on your nervous system. So much so, that it was believed by the ancient Greeks that drinking chamomile tea before you slept, induced such a deep state of sleep that you were likely to experience nightmares.
But don't let that myth stop you from enjoying this delicious latte that could be the perfect way to de-stress at the end of a work day.
1/2 cup water
2. Four Lipton Chamomile Tea tea bags
3. 1/2 a cup of soy or coconut milk
4. 1 Tbs honey
5. 1/4 tsp cinnamon (for serving)
1. Steep the four Lipton Chamomile tea bags in hot water for 10 minutes. Remove the tea bags and then set the mix aside.
2. Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly until the milk gets slight bubbly and frothy. This process takes 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Pour in the tea into the milk and add the honey and whisk for another minute over low heat.
4. Pour the mixture into one or two cups (depending on their size) and sprinkle the cinnamon on top, and serve immediately.